Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Brave Combo- The Exotic Rocking Life

It was years ago that I first heard the name "Brave Combo". I have no idea what song I played, but it was at WFHB in the middle of the night. Someone called me up and suggested them. I bought a disc or two, and thought they had an interesting sound. I don't know why hearing anglo english speaking guys playing spanish music is interesting, but it is. One listening turned me on to their unique sound. Tracking down a second disc was also entertaining, but a bit disappointing in that I heard the same basic sound that I had before. I must confess, if I were to profess (or confess!) a nit , it's repetition. I abhor it.
I enjoy many bands for different reasons. What I find I enjoy most is a band that can really mix it up. I wish I could be more specific. Maybe later. For now, I need to move on to the matter at hand!

The Exotic Rocking life is the bands 28th release. 28! That's staggering if you think about it. My personal collection consists of Polkatharsis on vinyl, and Box of Ghosts on CD. I highly recommend Box of Ghosts. To that end, I think I have to recommend The Exotic Rocking Life, too.  Listening to the first 3 tracks, I felt like I was once again listening to everything Brave Combo had ever done. I wasn't terribly excited about that. Even though I got a kick out of their Louie Louie cover, things just sounded terribly familiar.

What perked up my tired ears was The Tsamikos, which is a Greek war dance. If I'm not mistaken, this was also sung in Greek. Brave Combo, you have my attention!

From there on out, the disc pretty much had my full attention. They covered more than a few songs on here, but they did such a great job, I'm OK with that. The Undercover Medley was particularly fun for me.

All in all, once they got their groove on, Brave Combo showed they still have more than a few tricks up their sleeve. The guitars still rock, the horns still groove, and the voices are still silky smooth. I don't know how they've done it, but they have.  This disc is definitely worth a listen. Had I not had so much narrative to begin this post, I'd go on, but I need to write up my station review while the music is still bouncing around in my head. I have to give them their just dues!

My rating -- 11 out of 15 chili con carnes.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home