Monday, October 30, 2006

Scissor Sisters- Ta Dah

Color me happy. Color me happy with undertones of excited. Add flecks of joy and a few lines of cheer, and I think we'll have a picture of me after I've listened to the new release by Scissor Sisters. In decades past, rockers and musicians have been inspired by those before them Elvis and The Beatles were inspired by the blues. Bob Dylan built part of his career covering others songs. (Great note about this in this months Rolling Stone.) A Band of Bees burst on the scene with a GREAT retro sound. If you have not yet heard them, go to itunes IMMEDIATELY if not sooner and check them out.
Scissor Sisters borrows heavily from the groovy way out dance sound of the 70's. They waste no time in hooking you with I don't feel like dancin'. Then they grab you by the head and twist slightly with She's My Man. My one lament is that the best tracks on this disc are unairable unless they are dubbed. I Can't Decide and Intermission are both really cool standout tracks on this disc. The rhythm is solid, and the beats are definitely there. The lyrics are a bit of a juxtaposition. If you really listen, they can get a bit dark. I like the combination very much.
There are a few tracks that seem to borrow a bit more of an 80's sound, but that is forgiven. This is a solid disc with little more than a hiccup along the way. Definitely recommended listening if you are into grooving out with a modern retro sound. A definite no brainer---A.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home